Friday, May 16, 2008

Why? Why? Why?

Why do we blog? The lapses in my blogging are generally because I am not sure what I am trying to accomplish. What kind of justification am I looking for? Though I have not officially written in a very long time, I still consider myself a writer, it's an identity I claimed in elementary school when I began writing plays. Though I have not really written much per se, I can't let go of this identity. Much like I identify myself as a director though I have only directed two official shows. So for me, and I am slightly embarrased to reveal this, but it's the closest I can get to publishing. It's like a journal, heavily edited at times, where I can track what has been said and what has changed. I can read a post and no matter how off subject it was to how I was really feeling, I can go back to exactly how I felt when I wrote it.
So why not write in a more personal place where others can't read it? Does it make me feel important? Am I being self-indulgent even within this post?
Maybe I will switch my goal with this blog to re-discovering Madison. I mean, that is what am I doing in between long job search hunts and applying spurts.
I "discovered" that they have completed a new bike trail that conveniently takes me from where I am house-sitting to downtown Madison without having to compete with cars and irresponsible drivers. This was, thus far, the highlight of my day. There is something exciting about riding a bike trail the first time. In Columbus and California, I have had the experience, the trepidation which was much scarier because I didn't know landmarks. In Madison, I have the advantage of knowing said landmarks and having a relative idea of where I am within the city. It allows me to enjoy the discovery a little more knowing if needed, I could locate myself if I am in trouble. A luxury I didn't have initially in California or Ohio.
I am also re-discovering the Monroe neighborhood which has also been great. I was vaguely familiar with Monroe landmarks but that was all. Now I am getting to know the side streets and hopefully more of the shops and restaurants by the end of this house-sitting bout.
So that was my day. Maybe we blog to have some kind of outer connection, a way to talk without talking, catch up without interaction. It's scary in that light, but I guess that's what happens when you can become isolated so easily. Sometimes I wish we were back in the times of no technology, no phones, no email, no computers, where you were located and grounded and all interactions were personal. But then I couldn't see my words published on my pink screen like they were something more important than what they are.

2 Comments:

At 5/16/2008 11:01:00 PM , Blogger Friz(z) said...

Speaking of biking...I think I'm going to buy a bike in a couple weeks, and I really don't know what I'm doing. Any tips?

 
At 5/18/2008 08:09:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Assuming you want something for commuting, I guess the most important thing is get something with gears. They are a blessing on any hill (no matter how big or small). Trek is a good brand and my favorite. Give me a call if you want to talk more about it. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home