Saturday, August 06, 2005

Hi everyone-
I am in the computer lab typing up some notes for my research so I thought this would be a good time to write a new post. I have seen two shows so far both have been pretty amazing. We saw the Arab Israeli Cookbook on Thursday night. This was an amazing play that was a collection of monologues and short scenes surrounding the conflects in Israel. There were some really poignant scenes relating to some of the current events witht the bombings. The show was running prior to what has happened and so I can't even imagine how it felt to be the actors and all of sudden have these stories about bombings, the fear of an abandoned backpack, not letting the terrorists disturb regular routine bring a whole new layer of meaning to the piece. I bought the script because it was excellent and because I think I am going to use some of the monologues as a way in for my actors on the piece I am directing. I think it will just give them more material to get their minds around and help me to get my mind around it as well.
Death of a Salesman was the other show we saw. Visually this piece was absolutely stunning. I have never seen anything like it in terms of design and stage pictures. I realized once the play started that I was more familiar with All my Sons than Death of a Salesman. One of the challenges of this piece is to be able to show multiple rooms of the house as well as multiple settings outside the house. One way they did that in this piece was to use a turntable, have the different levels shift, and really make us of scrims (a cloth that when backlit is transculent but when lit from a different angle is opaque). The shifting of scenery made the piece almost cinematic, the use of the turntable almost made it like we as an audience were zooming in on a scene. I didn't find the acting/directing in this as strong which I think puts me in a minority. Mrs. Loman was outstanding- she was a small, fierce, bulldog, emotional powerhouse. The other actors grew on me in the second act but the first act was just really slow on tempo. Rob Lowe was also in the audience much to the delight of many from our program. I am a terrible star spotter so left to my own devices I would not have noticed. For any of you Rob Lowe fans, he was a very pretty man. I think my favorite part of seeing him was watching Chris watch him from the balcony. He was so excited. It was like watching a little kid at Christmas. :)
As I said at the beginning of the post, I am typing up research this morning. My research has been amazing so far. I got to watch a taped production of Fiona Shaw playing Richard II which was inspring. Deborah Warner is my new directing hero. I also was able to go through the groundplans, costume renderings, cue sheets, and rehearsal/production photos. Next week I am going to go through the press releases and I'll be done at the National. The archivists are really friendly and helpful. One of them even made me tea yesterday and we had a nice little talk about productions that are running now.
Between 4 and midnight today I am seeing three shows- Shoreditch Madonna, Hedda Gabler, and MacBeth. I want to do some exploring today and tomorrow to get a better sense of my surroundings.
Take care everyone.

5 Comments:

At 8/07/2005 06:09:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

see comment with July 24 schedule, I'll learn how to use this thing yet. Mom and I got back from our trip yesterday (Saturday 8/6/05) around 6:45pm. We had a great time and good weather all week except for some rain on Thursday as we traveled between Kansas City and St Louis. We visited (3) presidential Librarys;Clinton's, Truman's and Lincoln's, Lincoln's was my favorite. We traveled through (6) states and put on 2,420 miles.
It sounds like your having a great time also, take care we'll write more later.
Love, Mom & Dad

 
At 8/07/2005 08:20:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you Kimberly! Glad research is going well. It was weird to have a whole weekend without talking to you. :( More via email soon.

Love
Ape

 
At 8/07/2005 08:32:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi roomie! I just got back from my vacation, and it sure is good to be back in touch with civilization!

I love reading your posts--I can tell you are really in your element and are loving what you're doing! Sorry we can't provide the same sorts of conversations about production notes and scrims in 426; I'll work on that when I move back in. Hey, maybe we can use a scrim as a shower curtain in our bathroom! Or maybe I misunderstand the definition of a scrim....either way, I like that word. Hope you're doing well--miss ya!! :)

Scrim-dawg Casey

 
At 8/08/2005 07:10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Well, it was back to work after our fun motorcycle vacation trip..what a bummer!

I need to "re-retire"..We picked up Maggie from the kennel yesterday (she was there a week), she won't let us out of her sight! I hope everything is well with you,
Love, Dad

HI Kim,
Back to work for me too but I didn't go in until 1:45 I would like to go in at that time every day!!! I was glad to go back you know me can't stay away!! Thinking of you and can't wait to hear from you. Love you, MOM

 
At 8/09/2005 12:26:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dad-
You do need to re-retire! Take care of yourself. You and mom are doing a great job with the blog so far. Perhaps you could set up one- News on Fillmore Avenue. :)
love and miss you,
Kimberly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home