Sunday, August 14, 2005

Feel a sickie coming on?
I have had the unexpected pleasure to get sick while being in London. I have a cold/flu bug. It really isn't that bad. This isn't a post to complain about how I don't feel well, more to comment on medication. It is a good thing I am studying theatre as opposed to oh, I don't know, rock climbing, because really I just go into various theatres and watch plays being performed. Not too tough.
First, to Amanda who laughed and scorned when I packed a good deal of my medicine cabinet- I have already gone through my supplies and have had to resort to British medication. The first thing I noticed is that, at least at the places where I shop, there isn't much selection. This is fine because I do often get bogged down by choices. The second thing is that they have much more fun in descriptions. When a cough was bothering me, I had the choice between medicine that treated a 'tickly' cough or 'chesty' cough. It was a hard choice, but I did go for 'chesty.' It didn't really work so I went back to the store where I found some medication that treated my flu like symptoms. Upon opening the carton, a piece of paper fell out.
"This leaflet provides information about your medicice. Please read carefully....Please keep this leaftlet. You may need to read it again."
Since it was so polite, I decided to read it...
It broke down for me what exactly was in my medicine, the various pack sizes I could choose from, blah, blah, then I got to the interesting section-the side effects.The side effects included all of my flu like symptoms in addition, delirium, and various other life threatening effects that you often see on those drug commercials.
That medical tidbit out to satisfy my roommates who were having trouble following my theatrical ramblings.
Other recent highlights:
I have spent a lot of time at the Globe in the last few days. How cool is that? :) Last night I saw a production of Pericles. Now Pericles is a terrible play when you read it and from my research in undergrad, often a terrible play in performance (Disney on Crack was one of my favorite descriptions). The production I saw last night is at the top of my list for favorite productions in London. The director did an amazing job with her concept of the show and making the show make sense. If anyone knows the play (and let me know who you are), the director focused on how Antioch's incest and the guilt Pericles felt for not saving Antioch's daughter continued to haunt him as he searched for other examples of family, and relationships between fathers and daughters. The Gower character served as a guide for Pericles as he retraced his steps a la It's A Wonderful Life style through his life. For those who don't know the play, they used a lot of trapeze artists and it was really cool.
I saw The Winter's Tale this afternoon. That was good too.
On Saturday we did an improv workshop with one of the directors from the Improbable Company.
On Friday night I walked across the Tower Bridge at night and saw the castle all lit up.
Upcoming events:
Tuesday is my History play day at the National. I am going with some friends early in the morning to get tix for Henry IV Part 2, at 11 we are getting a tour of the National, at 2 we are seeing Henry IV Part 1, and then at night seeing Henry IV Part 2. Wednesday we leave for Stratford where I will stay until Saturday.

I hope this finds everyone well. I have gotten two rounds of postcards out and will keep them coming.

5 Comments:

At 8/14/2005 12:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I am not one of the people who has read Pericles! I remember you telling me how bad it was during undergrad. Maybe I'll read it now. :)

-Ape

 
At 8/14/2005 07:36:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kimberly,
It is fun to read about all of your adventures. You definitely sound like you are having a wonderful time. I am glad things are going so great. It sucks that you are sick. Get some rest so that it doesn't hang out long...oh and a bit of advice I tell anyone who is sick at the pharmacy....make sure to drink lots of water to flush all of the bad stuff out of your system. ;-)
I just had my first weekend off. It was really nice to relax. I had worked 12 days in a row, so it was time for a break. Now I start back in tomorrow. It is going great! The time flies by and I feel like I am helping a lot of people.
We are all thinking of you (Paul, me, my parents, Robert, and Lisl). Take care!
Love,
Kristen

 
At 8/16/2005 10:51:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly,
I got your first postcard yesterday. Thanks! It is fun to keep in touch with you through all of these different ways.
Hope everything is going great!
Love,
Kristen

 
At 8/16/2005 04:54:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post card Kimberly! Yes I'm a big gov't dork and i appreciate you including that aspect of my life. Enjoy yourself!

-kim

 
At 8/17/2005 04:14:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kimberly!I'm at Mom and Dad's so I thought I would carefully read all of your notes...I'd like to read all of the comments, too, but their computer isn't a whole lot faster than ours! I'll check it out next time I'm at school. Got your postcard the very next day after I had asked you about one!...ooooh...Twilight Zone music!
We're all fine. Jason started his first job on Monday--washing cars for a used car dealership. His FB team has a scrimmage on Friday afternoon in Baraboo. Brandon has strep throat (again). He didn't seem to mind too much though because he measured in at 5'8 and-a-half inches! He and I decided to drive to Port and bring Mom some more flowers and stay the night and visit. He brought our copy of Harry Potter 6 to share with Mom, and she told us about your having cocktails with "Prof Snape." I don't know about Brandon, but I am so jealous...of course, if I were in that situation, I'm sure I would make a total muggle of myself! I'm very happy to read your adventures. My summer is winding down, only a bit left before back-to-school. Keep taking lots of pictures;) Love you! Jamie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home