Sunday, August 28, 2005

I strongly dislike the bus.
It is probably my own fault- had I brought with me a discman, sleeping pills, or knitting, it may not have been so bad. However 9 hours on a bus but nothing to do except think, when you have already had plenty time to think, it got a little old. I actually counted down minutes for awhile to make time go faster. Also dodging my seatmate as he dozed and nodded towards me became a fun little game. Amazing what you can do to entertain yourself.
I may have been hallucinating but I swear I saw the following on a sign:
Mancheter 90
Birmingham 30
Welcome Break 25

I really began to look forward to the Welcome Break after that. It never came.
So now I am back in london. It's a balmy 50 degrees. It does feel balmy after Scotland. I put a skirt on. I was beginning to forget I had legs and it's strange to let any air actually hit my skin without wincing from cold. Okay, that may be exagerrating but sadly just a little. It was really cold in Scotland. I had a dream that I actually went to Alaska instead, and still people were shocked when I told them how many clothes I had to wear.
I did love my trip, however. I do not want to give off the wrong impression. Edinburgh was gorgeous. The hostel was nicer than I expected and I saw quite a bit. I feel like I only scratched the surface. I am wondering if it would be possible to get a grant to study Shakespeare on the Fringe- looking at fringe productions of Shakespeare. This was one of my plots I hatched on the 9 hour trip home. As well as how I would end up starring in a Broadway production that began on the fringe circuit and then in a film of the same play and exactly who would I thank in my acceptance speech and how gracious I would be and the style gown I would be wearing. It's these kind of daydreams that you get through 9 hours of bus traveling. Sigh.
I am back in London and the trip is beginning to wind down. Tomorrow I am 'playing mas' in the Notting Hill Carnival. This means I am dressing up and performing in the parade. They are putting me in a children's costume, I think it's because of my height. I think it will be really fun.
After that, I am not altogether sure what we are doing. I know we have one more acting workshop and some more shows to see. I am going to hit the Globe hard again before I leave. I want to resee some shows and see some new ones. The Globe has been the most exciting venue so far. Though the festival does rival it pretty closely.
I hope everyone is well. It's great to hear from you, I am definately thinking of you. Though I have loved the trip, I think I will be ready to come back by the end.

6 Comments:

At 8/28/2005 02:49:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is so cool, I was just looking back at stuff on it. It's going to be a great way to look back at the trip and remember what the heck you did over there! Can't wait for you to get back to OH so we can talk on the phone!
Love
Ape

 
At 8/29/2005 07:35:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Grief! I haven't been in to check for a couple of days...you know what...I think Waiting for Godot was probably the result of a similar "transportation experience." I'm sorry you had to suffer, but it DOES make great reading!!! Do keep laughing; it's much more fun (and attractive) than pouting...which is what I have been doing (a LOT)...I'm back to school today. I think this may be my 34th "Back-to-School." I tried to cheer myself up with some new clothes. Big mistake. I went to Penneys. What IS up with their mirrors? I'm still haunted by the images of the short, fat, dumpy, tired-looking woman who was starring back at me from those mirrors...UGH!! We're meeting Mom next Saturday. I think I'll shop for something that does NOT involve Penneys and/or mirrors;)The postcards just keep rolling in...it's awesome...thanks. Love you! Jamie

 
At 8/29/2005 11:41:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I read a new post, I get more and more jealous. Although, when you were describing Edinburgh, I could recollect enough from when I was there to 'see' a few things in my mind. Sarah and I may have to wait a bit longer, but we'll be excited to see the pictures/hear the stories upon your return.
If oat-sewing was a job, you'd be richer than Wilford Brimley!
Bradley

 
At 8/29/2005 11:44:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

to my BEAUTIFUL sister-
the mirrors are evil, it's not you. I am glad you like the postcards. my new fashion advice is- when all else fails, wear a scarf!
Also, everyone knows (well, only the cool kids) that to truly cheer yourself up for back to school, you must buy new school supplies. Post it notes, highlighters, ahh, I drool just thinking about it. Or it could be my dinner in my little plastic bag waiting to be eaten.
love, kimberly

 
At 8/29/2005 11:04:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberly, if only I had known you were going to be wearing a costume while you were over there, I would have let you borrow my pickle costume!

"Literary usages of the figurative sense [of a pickle] include Shakespeare’s Tempest, when Alonso asks Trinculo, "How camest thou in this pickle?," and Lord Byron’s Don Juan: "The Turkish batteries thrash'd them like a flail, Or a good boxer, into a sad pickle.""

Yeah, you can thank me in your acceptance speech for giving you this awesome pickle reference for your thesis about Shakespeare.

~Casey

 
At 8/30/2005 12:36:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Casey- I am so impressed! I'm actually having a hard time typing because I'm laughing so hard. Leave it to you to find a great pickle reference in Shakespeare! I even recently saw the play you were referencing.
love, kimberly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home